Are you and your spouse full-time employees? Are you neck-deep in work and not able to take care of your kiddo because your work demands it? Then you’ve come to the right place.
Sydney, one of Australia’s largest cities, is quite extraordinary. With its delicious food and wine, world-class education, marvellous infrastructure, and excellent and easily accessible healthcare, it’s no wonder that the city consistently ranks sky high among the world’s most liveable cities indexes.
There’s no lack of any kind in Sydney’s child care services either. From government child care services to private child care centres, parents have a myriad of options to choose from. Centres offering child care in Sydney are a popular choice among busy, working parents.
According to research, over 90% of brain development in children occurs between ages 0-5. So, it’s important to select a good child care centre for your tiny tot, as the people who take care of your child ultimately shape their mind and perception of the world.
Here is a list of ways to identify a quality child care centre:
- Caregivers are trained in first aid and CPR.
- The centre or in-home setting has a low child to teacher ratios (number of children for every one adult).
- The setting has small group sizes (number of children in each room).
- The setting has an emergency preparedness plan and holds drills.
- Caregivers have both formal education and training in early child development.
- There is a low turnover rate among staff.
- A written curriculum based upon the ages and interests of the children.
- Has health and safety policies (e.g., storing of toxic substances, diapering, hand washing) to ensure the environment is free of health & safety hazards.
Now that the ways to identify a quality child care centre have been covered, moving on to the next topic.
A child’s level of school readiness can be established across three main areas:
Motor Development and Physical Well-Being – The child must have developed fine motor skills (writing, cutting things, dressing themselves), gross motor skills (jumping and running), and should appear sufficiently nourished and rested.
Social and Emotional Development – The child must have mostly positive interactions with others and should be able to self regulate their behaviour. They must understand and express their feelings. Also, they should share and empathise with others and solve conflicts.
Cognitive and Language Development – The child must be able to observe, ask questions and solve problems. They should be curious and enthusiastic about new activities. They should also be able to establish a connection with letters and sounds.
The Link Between Good Child Care And School Readiness
High-quality childhood experiences directly contribute to school readiness and future success. Here are the benefits associated with quality childcare and how children reap the rewards of it:
Benefits in Kindergarten and Elementary School :
- Improved school readiness skills.
- Improved math and language ability.
- Fewer cognitive and social issues.
- Fewer behaviour issues.
- Less likely to be in special education.
- Less likely to repeat a grade.
Benefits in Middle & High School :
- Less likely to enter juvenile detention programs.
- More likely to finish high school.
Benefits in Adulthood :
- More likely to be in a high-skilled job or higher education at age 21.
- Less likely to commit a crime or felony.
- Less likely to rely on social assistance.
That’s about all. There are plenty of options for child care in Sydney, but make sure to do thorough research to find the perfect one for your little one.