Owning a website has become paramount to every business – small or large. With ample resources available on the web, it may be overwhelming to follow the right steps to building a website.
As a leading website development company, we are attempting to make it easier for you. Today, we will outline a step-by-step process to creating an effective website. We will also walk you through the aspects you should pay attention to after the site is live. Let’s get started.
A Comprehensive Guide to Building a Website
1. Domain Name
Obtaining a domain name or the website address is the first step towards creating a website. Here are some of the tips to picking the right domain name:
- Keep it short and simple – A short name will drive memorability
- Make sure that it is easy to spell – That way, people can easily pronounce or type it
- Avoid numbers or punctuations – These only complicate a domain name
- Avoid a domain that sounds similar to other domains – Make it unique.
- Ensure that the domain name matches your business niche – It looks more professional.
- Keep provision for your ambition – If you want to cover diverse aspects in future, use a generic domain name instead of a niche-centric one.
- Check domain name availability and price – You can use a site like GoDaddy.com to find these.
- Make it SEO-friendly – Though not mandatory, you may include keyword or geolocation in your URL to make it SEO friendly.
2. Hosting Service
Put simply, web hosting is the process of buying or renting space to feature a website on the World Wide Web. There are various hosting service providers to offer server, connectivity, and associated services to host a website.
Depending on your requirement, the cost of hosting services will vary. Here are three types of server:
A dedicated hosting service is the most expensive option but it has various benefits. The server will dedicatedly host your site. Therefore, you can utilize all the resources. It is more secured than the other two plans we will mention below. If yours is a potentially high traffic-driven large website, this is the ideal option for you.
In case of a shared hosting plan, your website will share the server and its resources with other sites. It comes at a lower price. But if one of the sites in the shared server receives a traffic surge or get hacked, your site’s performance or security may be affected.
Conceptually, virtual private hosting lies in the middle. Here, one server is partitioned and acts as multiple servers powering an individual website. It is an affordable choice for most website owners.
Some of the popular website hosting companies include Bluehost, SiteGround, DreamHost, InMotion, GoDaddy, etc. If you engage in professional website design services, the experts may recommend some other website hosting service providers.
3. Content Management System
A Content Management System or CMS is a software application that is used for creating and managing digital content. In plain words, you can use the system to upload, edit, and delete content without knowing HTML, CSS, and other coding languages. Even non-technical people can easily use a CMS. It stores your web content in one place.
Some of the popular content management systems include WordPress, Joomla, Drupal etc.
4. An Engaging User Interface
The user interface plays a crucial role in determining whether people will stay or leave your site. Here are some of the tips to creating a stunning UI:
- Use attractive graphics and easy-to-read fonts
- Maintain brand consistency in terms of using colours and content style
- Optimize all the elements on the website to improve the loading speed
- Create an intuitive navigation
- Include call-to-actions
- Instead of cluttering all information in one page, create multiple web pages
5. Inform about Your Business
It is important to inform people about your business. You can use a hero image (homepage banner), introductory text blurb, and other visual representations to appeal to the audience.
Make sure that the main and footer navigation menus link to the About Us page where people can find all about your business. Pay attention to writing your business goal and how your service can help people.
6. Optimize Your Website
Optimize the elements on your website so that the search engines can index and rank them. This process is known as on-page optimization – a component of Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Here are a few things to direct your focus on as part of on-page SEO:
- Keyword research
- Keyword optimize content
- Optimal site security
- Fast loading speed
- Mobile-friendly site
- Internal linking
- Integrating social media links to the site
Don’t stop at these. Engage professional SEO services to optimize your brand presence with off-page SEO efforts.
7. Webmaster Tools
It is important to analyze traffic and website performance and installing some webmaster tools like Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Bing Webmaster Tools, etc.
Here are the insights you can receive from these tools:
- Visitors to your site
- How far people scroll and bounce rate
- Average time spent by the users
- Broken links
- Keywords that lead users to the site
- Backlinks to the site
8. Create and Publish Quality Content
If you want to take search engine optimization effort to the next level, we recommend you to create and publish content regularly.
Make sure to keyword optimize the content. With consistent effort, your domain authority will increase. Your site will pose as an authoritative source for valuable information. This greatly enhances credibility.
9. Website Maintenance
Regular maintenance is the key to keep your site high performing and user-friendly at all times. Use performance data from the webmaster tools and optimize your site. Here are a few more things to do:
- Run security scans to prevent malware attacks
- Try A/B testing to appeal more to the audience
- Integrate useful features
- Optimize loading speed
- Fix existing issues and aim at further improvement
Also, it is a good practice to take backup of the site regularly
10. Client Testimonials
Once you are operational and acquire a few clients, ask them to share their experience. Feature client testimonials on the site.
These days, client testimonials play a significant role in improving business credibility. Positive reviews will encourage more people to engage your service.
We have compiled the essential steps that you need to follow for building a website and maintaining it. We hope our insights have been useful for you. Implement these and share your thoughts with us.